This website requires you to be 18 years and over.
Verify that you are of legal drinking age to enter.
The winter chill gives us the perfect excuse to snuggle up in front of an open fire if you’re lucky enough to have one, or otherwise just rug up and get cosy! You may be naturally inclined to reach for heavier reds but it’s the perfect season to explore fortified wines in their many hues and styles.
North-east Victoria, especially Rutherglen, is Australia's pre-eminent region for these. Morris Wines has an incredible range of fortified wines and this was recently celebrated at the International Wine Competition held in London - one of the most important shows in the world’s wine industry calendar. Morris Wines won 5 trophies and 4 gold medals and David Morris has been shortlisted for the prestigious Fortified Winemaker of the Year award, up against others also regarded as some of the world’s best.
David Morris shares a bit more about these wines with you, so you can explore them in the coming months. Here’s what you need to know…
Muscat is a wine style unique to Australia. Rutherglen Muscat is made from the Muscat à Petit Grain Rouge grape, known locally as Brown Muscat. Super-ripe, late-harvested grapes are only partly fermented then aged for long periods in old oak barrels of various sizes. Ranging from bright rainsiny sweetness in its youth to more intense, complex and rich flavours of fruit cake, mocha and citrus peel as it ages, Muscat pairs beautifully with a post-dinner platter of strong cheeses with nuts and dried fruit or rich chocolate desserts to match the smooth luscious texture.
- Old Premium Rare Liqueur Muscat NV (IWC Rutherglen Muscat Trophy)
- Old Premium Rare Liqueur Muscat NV (IWC Rutherglen Trophy)
- Old Premium Rare Liquer Muscat NV (IWC Australian Fortified Trophy)
- Old Premium Rare Liqueur Muscat NV (IWC 96 points – Gold)
As ''Apera'' has replaced ''Sherry'', so the word ''Tokay'' has been replaced by ''Topaque''. Topaque is made from the Muscadelle grape, a white wine grape which calls the Rutherglen region home. The wine takes on a golden amber hue from its extended time in oak and displays candied fruits, honey, toffee and a distinctive butterscotch on the palate. Created in three distinct styles, there is a Topaque for all occasions. Enjoy with crème brulee or sticky date pudding and or double brie with drizzled honey for an indulgent treat.
- Old Premium Rare Liqueur Topaque NV (IWC Champion’s Trophy)
- Classic Liqueur Topaque NV (IWC Rutherglen Topaque Trophy)
- Classic Liqueur Topaque NV (IWC 96 points – Gold)
- Old Premium Rare Liqueur Topaque NV (IWC 96 points – Gold)
- Cellar Reserve Grand Liqueur Topaque NV, (IWC 95 points – Gold)